How to apply for driving license
Here in this article, you will get to know How to apply for a driving license, online driving license applications in Delhi or any other state of India. Also, the procedure for online driving license renewal, driving license test, driving license test sample questions, application fees for driving license, and other essential information about driving license is also available.
Online driving license apply – learner’s License
For the issuance of a permanent driving license, the applicant compulsorily first has to apply for Lerner’s license for any type of vehicle. The Lerner’s license will be valid up to six months, however, the applicant after a month of issuance of Lerner’s License can apply for a permanent license, and the age should be 18 or above, for the vehicle, the Lerner’s license was issued.
Age limit to obtain Driving License
- An applicant who has completed sixteen years of age is eligible to apply for a Lerner’s driving license to drive a motorcycle with an engine capacity below 55 ccs.
- The applicant who has completed the age of eighteen years of age is eligible to apply for a driving license to drive a motor vehicle other than a transport vehicle.
- An applicant who has completed twenty years of age will be eligible for applying for a license to drive a transport vehicle.
Online driving license apply – Permanent License
Permanent License can be issued only after the issuance of Lerner’s license. The applicant has to pass the written driving license test as well as a driving test, to check the competency satisfying the officer’s requirements, in order to become eligible to attain a permanent driving license.
- Schedule an appointment for the test of competence online by visiting the website or any RTO office where such a facility exists.
- An application for a permanent driving license (Form No. 4, see table below) shall be made along with the Learners’ License obtained for such class of vehicle.
- The applicant who has held a valid Learners’ License, for a period of at least 30 days, shall be competent to appear for the test of competence.
- The test of competence will be conducted by the competent authority.
- The applicant should bring a vehicle of the type to which the application relates.
- The applicant should satisfy the officer conducting the test regarding his capability to drive the vehicle and his ability to perform the tasks specified.
- The candidate who passes the test of competence successfully will be issued with a driving license and sent through speed post to the address furnished.
Sample Questions for Online Driving License Test: Visit
Online Driving License Renewal
Application for the renewal of Driving License should be made available 1 month prior to the expiring date of the Driving License. If the application is late for more than five years after the date of expiry of the license, the applicant should undergo all the formalities to obtain a fresh license.
If the application for renewal is made before or after 30 days of the date of expiry of the license, the renewal will be made with effect from the date of its expiry. If the application is made more than 30 days after the date of expiry of the license.
the renewal will be made with effect from the date of receipt of the proper application. In such cases a fee of Rs. 30/- will be charged.
- Driving License.
- Application Form No.2.
- Form No.1 (Self-declaration as to the physical fitness for Non-Transport Vehicles) (see table below)
- Form No. 1A (Medical Certificate for Transport Vehicles only). (see table below)
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges
A duplicate driving license will be issued in the following circumstances
- When the license is lost or destroyed.
- When the license is defaced or torn or completely written up.
- When the photograph affixed to the license requires replacement.
- Application in Form – 2 (see table below)
- The original license is written or defaced if available.
- Attested photocopies of DL if available in case of loss of license.
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges
Addition Of New Vehicle to your Driving License
A person holding a driving license for Motor Cycle may similarly apply for the addition of a light motor vehicle at any time.
- Valid Driving License.
- Valid Learners’ License for the category.
- Application in Form 2. (see table below)
- Form 1(Self-declaration as to the physical fitness for Non- Transport vehicles only) (see table below).
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate-for Transport Vehicles only) (see table below).
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges.
International Driving Permit
International Driving Permit will be issued to an applicant who holds a valid Indian License and who is a resident of India. The application shall be made in Form 2 or in writing to the RTO within whose jurisdiction the applicant resides, specifying the countries to be visited and the duration of stay, etc.
- Valid driving license held by the applicant and copies thereon.
- Copies of Passport, Visa ( where applicable), and Air ticket for verification.
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges.
Online Form for Driving License
|FORM NAME||FORM NUMBER|
|Application-cum-declaration as to physical fitness||Form 1|
|Medical Certificate||Form 1A|
|Application for the Grant of Learner’s License||Form 2|
|Application for License to Drive||Form 4|
|Application for the addition of a new class of vehicles to a Driving License||Form 8|
|Application for the Renewal of Driving License||Form 9|
|State Register of Driving License||Form 10|
|Form of License for the Establishment of a Motor Driving School||Form 11|
|Form of Application for a License to Engage in the Business of Imparting Instructions in Driving of Motor Vehicles||Form 12|
|Form of Application for Renewing a License to Engage in the Business of Imparting Instructions in Driving of Motor Vehicles||Form 13|
|Register showing the Enrolment of Trainee(s) in the Driving School Establishments||Form 14|
|Register Showing the Driving Hours spent by a Trainee||Form 15|
Driving License Online Application Fees
Steps (How to Apply for Driving License): –
- Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Click on the online services.
- click on Driving License Related Services.
- Select Your State Name.
- Click On ‘Apply Driving License’.
- Click On the Continue Button.
- Enter Date of Birth and click on Submit Button’.
- Enter Your Mobile number and an OTP will be sent to your entry number Enter the OTP and click on ‘Authenticate with Sarthi’.
- The application form for the Learner’s License will appear on the screen.
- Fill in the details correctly and Click On the ‘Submit’ button.
- Acknowledgment slip will appear on screen Click on ‘Next’.
- Select ‘Fee Payment’ Click On ‘Proceed’.
- Select Your Payment gateway and fill the captcha, click on ‘pay now’.
- Click on ‘i agree’ and click on ‘proceed for payment’.
- Enter your Bank details Complete the payment.
- After Successful Payment, You Will Be Redirected to the Home page, click on driving License and click Upload Documents.
- Enter Application id and Date of Birth. Click ‘Submit’.
- Click ‘ok’, Submit Your Relevant Documents (Age Proof and Address Proof), Click ‘Next’.
- Select ‘upload photo and signature’ and click ‘next’, Upload your passport size photograph and scanned signature, and click ‘Next’.
- Select Your LL Slot and click ‘Proceed’.
- Enter the OTP sent on your mobile number or Email id Click ‘submit’, On the next page click ‘Proceed to Book’.
- Select Date and Time according to your convenience and Click ‘Book Slot’.
- Click ‘Conform to Book Slot’.
How do I apply for driving license?
Step 1. Visit site sarathi.parivahan.gov.in (link given in post)
Step 2. Click on ‘Apply Driving License’.
Step 3. Fill Applicant Details
Step 4. Upload Documents
Step 5. Upload Photo and Signature if required (applicable for only some states)
Step 6. DL Test Slot Booking (applicable for only some states)
Step 7. Payment of Fee
Step 8. Verify the Pay Status
Step 9. Print the receipt
What are the application fees for a driving license?
The issuance fees for Lerner’s License is Rs. 150/- and for the permanent Driving License is Rs. 200/- for each class of vehicle.
For adding a new class of vehicles to your existing driving license the fee is Rs. 500/-.
Issuance fees for an International Driving permit are Rs. 1000/-.
What are the renewal fees for a driving license?
Renewal fees for a driving license are Rs. 200/-., if you apply 1 month prior to or after the expiry date of your driving license. If you apply after 1 month of the expiry date of your driving license then additional Rs. 30 will be charged.
What is the validity of Lerner’s License?
The validity period for Lerner’s License is 6 months. After 6 months of the issuance of your Lerner’s License, it will no longer remain valid. The applicant has to reapply for the same after its validity gets over.
After how much time of issuance of Lerner’s License one can apply for Permanent Driving License?
After the issuance of 1 month of Lerner’s License, one can apply for Permanent Driving License only if the applicant has attained the age of 18 years or more. Lerner’s License remains valid for 6 months.
Documents required to apply for Lerner’s License/ Permanent Driving License?
For the issuance of a Permanent Driving License, one first needs to have a Lerner’s License. Only 2 documents are required for Lerner’s license application:
1. Date of Birth proof (Xth mark sheet/ PAN Card).
2. Address Proof (Aadhar Card/ Domicile)
After the issuance of 1 month of Lerner’s License, one can apply for a Permanent Driving License, only if, you have attained the age of 18 years or more.
Then you can apply for Permanent Driving License, for that only 2 things are required:
1. Lerner’s License
2. Permanent Driving License application form (link given in post)
What is the validity of a Permanent Driving License?
The validity of a permanent driving license is 20 years. After the expiry of a driving license, one needs to renew it before 30 days of expiry or within 1 month after the expiry. The renewal fees for a Driving License is Rs. 150/- within the time defined, otherwise renewal after 1 month of expiry of your driving license, additional fees of Rs. 30/- will be charged.
How the renewal of the Driving license id done?
After the expiry of your permanent driving license, you need to apply within 1 month after the expiry date, by filling the form provided (see in the post). The charges will be Rs. 150/-.
If you apply after 1 month of expiry, additional fees of Rs. 30/- will be charged.
For every year delay in the renewal of Driving License, fees of Rs. 1000/- will be charged for each year.
If the person does not renew the license for 5 years after the expiry date of his/her driving license, then the person has to undergo the whole process of license formation.