What is Voter ID Card? How to Apply for Voter ID Card ?
The Indian Voter ID card is the identity document issued by the election commission of India. Voter ID card is issued to the citizens of India who have attained the age of 18 years and above. Voter ID card is also known as Electros Photo Identity Card (EPIC). It was first introduced in 1993. Citizen, can enroll himself/herself as General Voter and fill the form 6 online at National Voters’ Service Portal (link is given below). Registered voters can also check their enrollment status by visiting the same portal.
What is the use of Voter ID Card?
- It serves as the identity of a person, that he/she is a citizen of India.
- Voter ID card is used to cast votes in Panchayati, municipal, state and national elections.
- Along with citizen’s identity, it also works as address and age proof.
- The voter ID card can be used anywhere, where one needs to apply to claim governmental services like applying for a passport, ration card, open bank account, buy a sim card, etc.
- It is also used as a travel Document when one needs to travel to Nepal and Bhutan by air or by land.
Who can apply for Voter ID Card?
- You must be a citizen of India.
- You must have reached the age of 18 years on 1st January of the year of applying for the Voted ID card.
- Applicant must be an ordinary resident of the area of the constituency from where he/she want to apply.
- Applicant must not be involved in any criminal activity or any criminal case must not be going in his/her name.
What are the documents required to apply for Voter ID Card?
- Applicant’s photograph.
- Proof of Age
- Aadhar card or
- PAN Card or
- Driving License or
- Passport or
- Birth Certificate or
- Class 10th or 12th mark sheet
- Proof of Address
- Ration Card or
- Driving License or
- Passport or
- Bank Passbook statement or
- Electricity Bill or
- Any document received by the post office.
How to Apply for Voter ID Card Online?
- First, visit the site www.nvsp.in and click on Voter Portal.
- After clicking on Voter Portal click on ‘Create an Account’.
- Register by entering your e-mail id or 10 digits phone number. By clicking on the ‘Send OTP’ button verify your mobile number.
- Now, create a password for your NVSP portal and click on ‘Create Account’ button.
- After successful login to NVSP Portal enter your profile details like Name, State and Gender and submit the profile details.
- A new window will open, then on this page click on the ‘New Voter Registration’ link.
- A window will be visible where some general information will be asked and choose an appropriate options from the given.
- Next, you have to enter your Date and Place of Birth and choose and upload the appropriate documentation to verify the same.
- Now a form will appear where you have to enter your name in English and Hindi and upload your photograph.
- Then you need to enter one of your relative’s Voter ID card Number, name and your relation to that person.
- Then fill in your address details.
- Finally fill in your name and place it in the declaration form.
- After submitting the declaration form your application is complete and you will receive a ‘Reference ID’ via message on your entered mobile number (keep it safe to track your application status and other future references.)
How to Apply for Voter ID Card Offline?
Applicants can also get registered offline also. Here are the steps:
- The applicant needs to fill the form which he/she can get from the office of Electoral Registration Office Assistant Electoral Registration Officers and Booth Level Officers. This form is free of cost, the applicant need not pay any amount. Also, this form can be downloaded online also (link is given below).
- After filling the form, attach the photocopies of the documents required, submit the form to the Electoral Registration Office Assistant Electoral Registration Officers and Booth Level Officers in person, or can send it via post to the Booth Level Officer of your polling area.
How to Check Application Status of Voter ID Card?
An application Status of your Voter ID card can also be checked by visiting the NVSP Portal (link is given below). Then click on ‘Track Application Status’. Enter ‘Reference Id’ (ID received via message after successful registration for Voter ID card). Then your application status of Voter ID Card will be visible.
|New Voter Application Portal||Visit|
|Voter ID Card Application Status||Visit|
|Offline Voter ID Application Form||Download|